Tuesday, November 04, 2008

snow in Whistler

I've been in Whistler a couple of days now, and got here just in time to see the snow. Woke up this morning and it was coming down pretty good. Only problem is that it warmed up enough to start raining on it later in the morning, and now it's mostly gone. But at least I got a good taste of it, and it's still sticking around just a little farther up in the hills.

So I stayed at one hostel the first night, on Sunday; then they were full up for Monday night, so I switched over to another one and paid for four days in advance, until Friday morning. I'm doing some looking around for jobs, and it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to find one. The major problem is that accomodation is almost impossible to find, and if you do find something then $600/month is about the cheapest, for a shared living arrangement of some sort. Because of all the construction taking place for the 2010 Winter Olympics, a lot of the construction workers are apparently being housed up here, making the housing situation even tighter than normal. I've met tons of people in the hostel who are also looking for jobs and housing for the coming ski season, and so unfortunately I'm here right when everybody else is looking to get set up for the winter as well.

So I'm going to keep my eyes open for the next couple of days and just see what happens, but I don't have high expectations of ending up finding anything. But I'm not too attached to it either. Whistler looks pretty nice and it would be an amazing place to ski, but there are lots of other ski resorts in B.C. that won't have the same deluge of people showing up, so I might just head out at the end of the week and look elsewhere. If the snow comes back in the next couple of days however, I might stick around just a little longer to at least try and get in some cross country skiing or snowshoeing. It seems like that might even be possible already in the upper elevations, I'll have to find out. So, I'll just post any further developments whenever they happen.....

No comments: