Sunday, November 02, 2008

in McBride, B.C.

(This was actually written last Wednesday, Oct. 29th.)...

I'm now at Kakwa Ecovillage near McBride, B.C. (I got here Monday night)(click on the subject line above for their website). It's sort of a community in the works, with one main building, a garden, a couple of cabins and a big barn. They raise llamas and alpacas and use the wool to make assorted things to sell, i.e. warm socks. At the moment there are only three other adults here and one two-year-old. Yesterday I helped out digging a well in the barn to water the llamas for the winter. Today we'll be shoveling manure, yippee. So, all sorts of fun stuff to do. I guess during the summer there tends to be more people around, as they have a room with multiple beds that serves as a hostel (where I'm staying) and they get WOOFers coming through to help out and campers, plus other people who are involved in the community but don't necessarily live here full-time. It's a bit warmer here than Jasper, and it sounds like it's a bit milder in general here during the winter, but also a bit wetter. So, a pretty interesting place to check out. I'll take some photos today and may shoot a short video to put on the blog. I'm planning to take off tomorrow and head for Vancouver, so I'll write again soon.

No comments: