Thursday, August 23, 2018

Flying Back to Europe

It was a relatively short two-week trip back in the US this time. I'm now on a bus headed to the San Francisco airport to catch a flight to Brussels, Belgium. This will be my second time to Belgium, technically. But the first time didn't really count. That was on my first trip to Europe when I was 18. At the end of my trip my backpack was stolen while sleeping on a bridge over the Seine river in Paris. Luckily I was left with my day pack which had in it my passport, flight ticket (which was crucial since this was before the internet, so flight tickets were almost like cash), the little bit of money I had left, my camera and a few other essentials.

I left Paris with just my day pack and caught a train to some town on the coast of Belgium to catch a ferry across the channel to England, since my flight back to San Francisco was out of London. I spent a short time, maybe an hour or so in that town waiting to catch the ferry. And that's all I saw of Belgium. I've counted it as one of the countries I've been to ever since, but have wanted to go back to explore it properly.

Not sure how long I'll be there, probably around a week or so. But I'll most likely catch another flight from there to Athens for my sixth visit to Greece, one of my favorite countries. I decided to head back there before summer was over to get some peaceful relaxation time after my intense travels in Asia.

The main objective for this trip is to unplug from the computer and the digital world to some extent. I've got my tent and other camping necessities and plan to camp on beaches on some remote Greek islands. Get away from all the craziness, the news, social media, all that jazz that invades our consciousness on a daily basis now and infects our peace of mind with a million things to think about, worry about, get pissed off about, most of which doesn't actually affect our personal lives in any real way.

I'm not disconnecting from it all entirely, but plan to film less often so that I have less editing work and can spend less time on the computer, and will hopefully get some breaks for a few days or even a week or more here and there from the technological world altogether. I'll be camping on some gorgeous beaches with no towns, roads, facilities or buildings anywhere nearby (I know some secret spots, which I'll keep secret). Doing some traveling like the old days before you gave a crap if anyone knew where you were, what you were doing, what you looked like or had to say, but were simply there living in the moment, enjoying the fascinating experience of being a stranger in a strange land. Stoked for it.

No comments: