Friday, August 21, 2009

still on Naxos (click here for more photos)

I've had a great time exploring the much larger island of Naxos. The one problem I've had is I keep being completely worn out from all the hiking, biking and swimming I'm doing every day, but I keep not wanting to take a day and just sit around. I met an American woman here, Karen, who is camping at another campground that's just a half mile down the road from the one I'm staying at. Yesterday we went down to a a nice beach, where we braved the winds and flying sand. August is when the Meltemi hits Greece, which are daily winds that can get pretty intense. On Anafi they got so strong, particularly up in the main town perched on a ridge, that you could barely walk into it. A little ironic that this is always when most of the tourists are here trying to enjoy the beach. Apparently September is the ultimate time to be here, when things cool down, the winds die down and most of the tourists are gone.

So today Karen and I took a bus into the interior of the island to a really pleasant little village, Filoti. There weren't any particularly notable sights to see right in town, although you could hike from there up to the top of Mount Zeus, highest point on Naxos and in all of the Cyclades Islands. But that was a 3-4 hour round trip hike and neither of us were up for that. Instead we managed to spend a couple of hours just exploring the winding maze of narrow streets and alleys that make up most of the town, and eventually got up to a small church with an amazing view down to the town and across the whole valley. I've uploaded a few more photos, but am still having some trouble with the videos so will give that a try again later.

No comments: