Tuesday, July 15, 2008

in Nakusp, B.C.

I'm going to keep this short for the time being, but I'm now exploring the Slocan Valley for a few days, which is just to the west of Kootenay Lake (where the town of Nelson is). I worked for Joseph for just three days, as he had someone coming on Sunday evening that he was going to be tutoring all week, and so he'd said when I first talked to him that he didn't want to be splitting his time, and so I could just come by for the weekend, actually Friday-Sunday. That worked out fine, because I hadn't gotten the chance yet to do a little more exploring of the area on my own. So I took off Sunday evening, but not before setting up to work for some other folks, starting on Thursday morning. But I've been out of cell phone range through this whole area of the Slocan Valley (even though there's plenty of small towns), so wasn't able to text message anybody, or send to my email account some of the photos I've taken in the past few days, to be able to post them here. So I'll try and write a little more once I get the photos sent from my phone, so that I can then upload them.

In the meantime, one cool thing that happened was that I ran into a guy, Shaun, at the youth hostel in Nelson, who I'd met previously on the island of Kauai, Hawaii back in May, after I got back from hiking the Na Pali Coast. He's from England and has actually been WWOOFing himself around North America, and had worked on a couple of farms in Hawaii. I'm sure he mentioned to me that he was going to Canada at the time, but I'd forgotten and so of course it was a pretty big surprise to run into him here, especially considering how big Canada is. So, since I don't have any other photos to post right now, here's one he just emailed to me from Kauai, from sometime around early May. This was at a potluck get-together at Hanalei Bay with some friends of my friend Jasmine (which was how I'd met Shaun to begin with, who was a friend of a friend of hers, both of whom were visiting from the Big Island). I must admit, I look pretty damn tan here. To my immediate right is a girl from England who lived on Kauai, but I forget her name, and then Jasmine is next over, but unfortunately her back is turned. But anyway I'll wrap things up here for now, and just try to write again later this week or else maybe over the weekend.

No comments: