Monday, July 07, 2008

in Missoula, Montana

I left the Rainbow Gathering in Wyoming yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, drove all the way to Missoula, Montana and stayed in a hotel here last night. I'm just taking care of assorted business here for a little while, then I'll probably head out of town sometime in the next couple of hours, after I finish up online (I'm in the local library), get some more food for the road, fill up the gas tank and that's about it. I've got limited time online here, so I'll make this pretty short. But from here I'm headed west into Idaho, then will be going north up through the finger of Idaho, and then into Canada, headed for Nelson, B.C. I emailed a bunch of the WWOOFing farms in the area before the Rainbow Gathering, and so got a number of replies back. Some of them are already full for the summer or otherwise don't need people, but a handful of them did say they could use some help, so it looks like I'll just have to make up my mind which one sounds the most interesting. Some of them included photos and the area definitely looks pretty gorgeous.

One other note, I think I mentioned it already but just to make sure, unfortunately I won't be able to make many phone calls while in Canada, since I'll get charged 50 cents a minute to use my phone on top of my usual monthly bill. But the good news is that sending text messages, including photos, from my phone is still cheap, so I'll try and send photos every once in a while to people who can actually view them, and also I can send photos to my own email account, and then either email them or post them here. Speaking of which I did that with some photos I took at the Rainbow Gathering and will include them below. So, I guess I'll probably be writing next from Canada (although I'll make some more phone calls while I'm still here in the U.S., possibly for the next day or two)....

Here's a nice sunset while driving through Wyoming to the Rainbow Gathering:



This is where I camped the night before I actually got to the gathering, although it was only a few miles away. I decided to camp here rather than dealing with the crowded parking area, and trying to hike into the gathering area (which occurrs away from where all the cars are) in the dark:



This is one of the few big structures built by one of the kitchens, Granola Funk. It's a stage for music, plays, etc. Other than this though, mostly it's just people playing music around campfires:



This is a kitchen in the woods set up by my friend Jeffrey, where I hung out a bit:

2 comments:

Shalome said...

Hey Gabe! Wow! They get quite the gathering! Looks like a good time! Whats on the agenda in Montana? Hope you continue to have a great time and a blessed trip. Tonya

Gabriel Morris said...

Just passed through Montana, I'm now in Canada (but you'll know that already when you check the blog again, since there's new photos.....)