Thursday, March 27, 2008

okay, this is just weird...

I'm back online after getting a pad thai from a street vendor. On the way there, I passed this guy that I seem to see everywhere, including on all of my trips to India. My first trip to India, I was in the city of Udaipur in Rajasthan state (which is where the James Bond film Octopussy was filmed) and met this older British guy from London, in his forties or fifties, among a group of other people. He ended up in one of my photos, so I recognized him when I saw again at a restaurant in Hampi, when I was in south India two years ago. He was pretty drunk at the time and rather incoherent and obnoxious, but I talked to him anyway and he agreed that he had been in Udaipur at that time six years before, although he didn't remember me. Then, I saw him again just a month or so ago, when I was in Pushkar, also in Rajasthan state, but didn't get the chance to say hello there. So maybe if I see him again here in Bangkok (which is likely since I saw him right on Khao San Road, which is a fairly short little street jammed with restaurants, bars and assorted tourist shops) and if he's not drunk and annoying this time (like a good chunk of people on Khao San Road, due to the "buy one bucket of beer, get one free" deals) I'll have to ask him if he's got a twin or maybe a couple of triplets also traveling around. As mentioned above with my friend Noam, it's actually fairly common to see the same people on one trip, since you can end up on a similar route, going to the same places. But seeing someone four different times on three trips in two different countries is definitely a bit strange.

No comments: