Wednesday, March 05, 2008

headed for Allahabad tomorrow

Another day of palace, fort and temple touring. I opted to go by foot today after bicycling all over the place yesterday, to save myself 25 rupees, but mostly just to use some different muscles. I basically retraced part of my steps from yesterday as I'd at least bicycled past the major sites then, which are all in a nearby area. But this time I forked over the 275 rupees so that I could go inside and explore the best preserved ones. They were really amazing and definitely worth the price (the Taj Mahal is 750 rupees now, and all you do is walk in and look at it and go "Wow, cool", but no elaborate mazes of tunnels to explore. Although, it was only 15 rupees when I visited it, they now have this whole Indian price/foreigner price thing, in which foreigners pay 20 times or even more of the Indian entrance fee).

So anyhow, at this point I feel like my interest in old buildings is definitely satiated, to the point of being just about burnt out. I'm glad I'll be making a big change in heading for Nepal to see the mountains. There's a slight change in my travel plans, which is that I just booked a train ticket for one leaving tomorrow evening, that will take me straight to Allahabad overnight, rather than spending two days on busses. I was going to stop and see this other old fort along the way, but like I said I don't need to see every last fort in India, they'll still be there next time I come back, even if it's in a few hundred years. So, then I'm in Allahabad for the day (in which I'll probably just get a hotel room and get some better sleep than I will overnight on the train) and that evening I'll be on another overnight train to Gorakhpur, the jumping off point for Nepal.

No comments: