Thursday, February 28, 2008

in Bundi

I ended up staying an extra day in Pushkar to do a few final things on the computer, plus I just wasn't quite ready to pack up and leave. So this morning I got up early (okay, 8) and packed up and checked out, then went down to the 50 rupees buffet for breakfast, which I found out about a few days ago, but wished I'd found out about when I first arrived in Pushkar. It was purely geared towards all the Western tourists, breakfast was from 7am until 12:30pm, with fruit salad, oatmeal, toast, jam, peanut butter, potatoes, etc. But it was sure a good deal, and I knew I wouldn't be getting another breakfast like that for a while, especially at that price, so that was a nice way to say goodbye to Pushkar. Next time I go back there I'll have to actually explore around a little more instead of being on the computer the whole time, but I did get some good things wrapped up that I'd hoped to get to at some point during my trip.

So anyhow, this morning I hopped on the bus from Pushkar just half an hour away to the larger city of Ajmer. Then from there I lucked out when I asked a bus that was just leaving the bus station where it was going, and it was the bus I needed. So then it took another 5 hours to get here to Bundi. Bundi looks quite nice so far, other than the fact that they have a bit of a fly problem in the evening, and their otherwise picturesque lake has no water in it. But it's a quaint little town with a palace overlooking it from a ridge above it, and a quiet little place with small lanes like in Jaiselmer, but not nearly as touristy. Not quite as impressive either, but it has a nice atmosphere to it. Tomorrow I'll most likely check out the palace and fort, and then I might only stick around for one more night, since I kind of need to pick up the pace. Speaking of which, internet is 4 times as expensive here as in Pushkar, and my hour is almost up so I'd better run. Next place I'm headed is either Fatehpur Sikri or else Orchha, but it looks like Fatehpur Sikri because it has better transport connections directly from here...

No comments: